Who should receive a flu vaccination?
Public Health England recommends that the following people should receive a free flu vaccination this winter:
- Anyone aged over 65 years or born on or before March 31st 1952 (Currently 64)
- aged under 65, but at risk due to a health condition, click here for more information
- Pregnant women
- are very overweight
- are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
- All children aged two, three and four on August 31 2016 – that is, children born between September 1 2011 and August 31 2014.
- Children between the ages of six months and two years who are at high risk from flu are offered the annual flu jab, usually at their GP surgery.
Children aged 2 or above will normally be offered the intranasal vaccination rather than an injection. Note that stocks of this vaccine are not likely to be available until October and supplied will at first be limited.
Children aged two, three and four on August 31 2016 – that is, children born between September 1 2011 and August 31 2014
The surgery will require a signed consent form from a parent or guardian before administering a flu vaccination to a child. Please download our Child Flu Consent Form to complete and bring along with you.
For more information on children’s flu vaccinations click here
You do NOT need to wait to receive a letter from the surgery if you have previously been eligible for the seasonal flu vaccination.
Any child over 6 months who is at risk due to a health conditionNotes For more information about the flu vaccination, who should have it and why, please see the following official NHS resources:
- The Flu Vaccination Winter 2014/15 – Leaflet
- Flu, your pregnancy and you – Leaflet
- Protecting your child against flu – Leaflet
- Which flu vaccine should you or your child have?
Declining a Flu Vaccination
If you fall into one of the above categories, but do NOT wish to receive a flu vaccination this winter, please let us know. We can then record this on your medical records so that we do not contact you again this winter
Flu Vaccination Sessions
Note: We have completed our seasonal flu clinics for this current year, however, if you have not had your vaccination yet please advise reception and they will make arrangements for you to have one. We aim to ensure that every eligible patient who wishes to receive a flu vaccination can have one.
Finally, if you are an eligible patient, not yet had this year’s vaccination and attend an appointment at the surgery, your GP or nurse is likely to offer you the flu vaccination during your consultation.